Saturday, July 4, 2009

blessings

Claira has a book about Hanukah. Somewhere in the book is the word "blessings". When we were at the mall today she asked me "What is a blessing?". I assume she has had this question on her mind for awhile, but I am still not sure why it popped up when it did. I told her that they were good things that we have, and I gave her one example. I think I said something like "Daddy is a blessing, because he is a good thing that we have". For those of you who have spent any moments with a 3 year old, you know that they never tire of asking the same question over and over. She proceeded to ask me about 30 more times "what other blessings do we have?"

There we were, sitting in the food court, at a table for two, eating chicken strips, thinking of all of the blessings that we have… 

What other blessings do we have?
Your cousins are a blessing to you, because you have such fun with them.

What other blessings do we have?
Grandmas and Grandpas are blessings, because they are so much fun.

What other blessings do we have?
Natey is a blessing to us, and he loves you so much.

What other blessings do we have? 
You have aunties and uncles that love you so very much.

What other blessings do we have?
We have a lovely house with lots of toys and a back yard.

…finally, after this went on for some time she looked at me and asked: "Am I a blessing?"
When I responded "yes, honey, you are a big big blessing to me", she looked at me with her smile. It is impossible to describe, but it is a smile of the deepest satisfaction and contentment possible. 

I hope I never forget this conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment